Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Having Coffee, Destinesia, and Brain Farts

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, December 08, 2012

Having coffee with a side of Destineesia, Menopause Moments and Brain Farts.

At my kitchen table overlooking the sunny Silicon Valley my mother and I sat to have a cup of freshly brewed coffee for an afternoon tête-à-tête. The conversation was “assorted senior moments.”

The coffee was delicious. The view was spectacular. The company was warm and friendly. And the conversation soon went from smooth, easy talking to, well, her experiencing senior moments and me dealing with obvious gaps from destineesia, Menopausal Moments. “...So where was I going with this...?”

We made a comical pair, my mother and I; a perfect setting for a comedy. We talked about old movies, a favorite past-time; we named actors of today and those now gone, until we began drawing a blank that is. We gave each other clues and suggestions, hoping to jog our memories. After knocking our noggins around a bit, I had to stop and ask: What got us talking about this movie in the first place? And neither one could remember. So we chuckled a bit.

We continue to sip our coffee, smiling at each other, and then she asks me if I’ve seen the movie something or other Button?

Button...Button...? I wonder. And the seconds begin to tick.

He was married to that girl he left for... She draws another blank, and so do I.

Aniston! I say, happy to remember. Jennifer Anniston. He left her for Angelina Jolie.

Yes! My mom yells with triumph, That’s her.

And then I had to ask again: But, why were we talking about her?

We look at each other, and then look to the ceiling, and start laughing. We can’t remember!

Suddenly, as if a light bulb was turned on, I screech, Brad Pitt! Brad Pitt was Benjamin Button! And that’s the name of the movie, too. Duh!

And so our conversation and time continued in this manner: laughing at senior moments, laughing at gaps from destineesia, (me dealing with menopause) and uncontrolled brain farts. She a seventy-eight year-old senior and I a fifty-six year-old ageing menopausal couldn’t remember details or names. But we had a great time. We laughed so hard we both expressed fear of peeing our pants, not an uncommon occurrence with women our age. After all, it did happen to Marie Osmond, on stage no less.

At least this time my mother got her coffee. The last time she’d visited she waited and waited until she finally asked me if she was ever going to get her promised cup of coffee and plate of nibbles, which, by the way, had been sitting in the microwave for at least 15 minutes, all the while beeping at me in the background. But neither one heard the incessant beeping.

We dream a life to be; we live to dream that life! (vka)

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

9 comments on Having Coffee, Destinesia, and Brain Farts

By riginal on December 08, 2012 at 05:19 am

wonderful. I hope you got my message on recipes? I just can't get those five stars to light up properly? I'd better go back to star school or bang my head on the table more and paste them? Maybe i should keep my head OUT of the microwave when it's on? 5 stars girl!

By HomeRearedChef on December 08, 2012 at 02:32 pm

Hi there, Riginal, mi amigo, it is now a wonderful thing to come and read your comments. Gotta love'm!

To answer your questions: NO! I did not receive your message on recipes. DARN! And no star showing either, but I know you meant to. So thank you for trying.

By the way, PLEASE keep your head out of the microwave. I hear that's not good. LOL!

By melanie jean juneau on December 09, 2012 at 10:02 am

FUNNY- my mum and I have slightly different conversations. I fill in her blank moments and supply the word, name, place for her.

By HomeRearedChef on December 09, 2012 at 03:02 pm

But the most awesome part of this, for both of us, is the fact that we can sit with our dear mamas and have good conversation. Where I was once a rebel daughter (in my youth), I have finally grown up. My mother likes me. :)

By melanie jean juneau on December 09, 2012 at 03:28 pm

yes, only my mother REALLY gets my offbeat humour

By Barbara MacDonald on December 13, 2012 at 02:50 pm

How very sweet. I so wish I still had my Mother with me just to sit and have coffee....you are very blessed virginia...I really loved this ...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 13, 2012 at 03:13 pm

Thank you, Barbara, because your comments are always expressed from the heart. :)

I just happened to get off the phone with my mother, and I am taking her for some "blood-letting" tomorrow. lol! It is so very difficult to get her out of bed, but she needs to go early because she has had to have fasted since the night before. So I need to get up earlier than she and call to wake her up.

By Barbara MacDonald on December 13, 2012 at 03:46 pm

God bless, hope everything goes well...Is so nice that you live close to her and can help her, I am sure she appreciates that so much...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 13, 2012 at 04:36 pm

She appreciates me, Amiga. Thank you! :)