Friday, December 15, 2017

Rising from the Ashes and Taking Second Chances

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, December 05, 2012

Here's to brave women rising from still smoldering ashes and carving new paths for themselves!

Sometimes life is all about taking second chances and having the courage to look into the mirror, square into your own eyes, and bravely and resolutely say that you will not accept defeat.

“Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero,” seize the day, putting as little trust as possible in the future. And that’s just what many single moms are doing today, seizing the moment at hand. They are taking control of their own lives. Life, after all, is often a disambiguation.

The Reality: Life happens. Love is found. Marriage is made. Family is created. Dreams are crushed. And in many cases, when there just isn’t room for compromise, divorce is the ultimatum. Today, brave women are boldly girding themselves and moving to rise from still smoldering ashes and carving a new path for themselves and for their children.

I know of one such courageous woman, she is dear and near to my heart. She’d found her glass slipper, once, and so dared to believe in a dream. But then, one unfortunate day, she actually heard the crack in her universe, and watched her life and dreams crumble into a heap. But though her heart was shattered into a million pieces, she has found the strength to believe that those tiny fragments are just mere pieces to be glued together again.

Here I speak of my oldest daughter, my baby, my first born. Today, she is a single mom raising two boys, two boys that have created a world she solely lives for. Determined to secure that world for them and make it safe, she has gone back to school to finish her education. She has raised the bar and set practical goals in motion.

I would like to congratulate her strength, her mind, her heart, and her steadfast determination. And I would like to applaud all women, single moms that have found the courage to stand and walk on their own two feet and not be beaten by life. These brave women are rising from the ashes and creating second chances.

We dream a life to be; we live to dream that life! (vka)

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

10 comments on Rising from the Ashes and Taking Second Chances

By Barbara MacDonald on December 05, 2012 at 04:31 pm

Oh Virginia I so understand this and it is very hard to watch our own going through pain...My middle daughter divorced this year after being with her husband 14 years...she moved to Austria to be with him and yes it was heart breaking for all concerned...I am happy to know your duaghter is doing well...my daughter is now back living in Canada and making a new life here...God bless them always.

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 04:47 pm

I am sorry to hear that your daughter, too, has had to face the pain of divorce. As a parent, these are difficult times, to watch them go through pain in life, as if sitting on the sidelines...and then to feel so helpless.

She and her two sons are living here with her father and me. It has been about one and a half years now, but she is a lot better. Praise the Lord!

By the way, the picture above is her. Isn't she gorgeous?! She wanted her pose (which she took for Facebook) to look like Rosie the Riveter. She is so darn creative. I know, I am a proud mom here. :)

By Barbara MacDonald on December 05, 2012 at 04:58 pm

She's beautiful...just like her Mother...I am also proud of how well my Alicia is coping now...and she too l.lived with me when she first came back. lol all my children left at times and then came back to live with me again over the years...A part of growing up and it is hard out this world with the economy as it is...She now is working full-time at the hospital and has rented a townhouse. I want her to go back to school part time to be a chef...she is an amazing cook. You can tell I am also a proud Mother...:-) ...I will pray all goes well for your girl...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 05:52 pm

So your daughter likes to cook, eh! I think I like her already. :)

I believe that you and I are women of Faith, women that believe in prayer, women that fiercely LOVE their children; so that is just what we will do then: hold our children in prayer and continue believing.

Again I must say how glad I am to have met you, Amiga!

By melanie jean juneau on December 05, 2012 at 06:07 pm

Well friends, my oldest daughter' has a similar story and in hercase, just like both of you, it was famly that was her safety net. Her husband's mum died and he refused any help with personality altering grief. He became angry,mean, had an affair ... It was like Dr. Jeckae and Mr. Hyde, She was shattered. Now 3 years later she has doubled her income twice and with a new job offer she will be making 4x what she did a few years ago- she is respected, valued and she is blossoming, challenged, travels and has discovered strength and support from her siblings and from us, Her comment- "I never would have pulled through without my family"

By Barbara MacDonald on December 05, 2012 at 06:37 pm

Awe, thank you Virginia, I am very happy to have met you both...you are wonderful women and I relate so well to you both...yes we are all women of faith whose children will always come first to us.

Melanie, that's wonderful...it is so hard when you can not "fix" everything for them. All we can do is be there with them and help them pick up the pieces and move on...happy to know she is doing well Melanie..:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 11:45 pm

AMEN, Melanie! Family is our stronghold. Without-a-doubt, you and your husband have done an awesome job at raising your children. You taught them strength and Faith.

Thank you for sharing her story, I am grateful. :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Melanie and Barbara, I am so proud to know that our daughters are doing it. Praise the Lord!!

By Uttam Gill on December 06, 2012 at 12:59 am

Any one going through dilemmatic phase of taking a decision of Divorce is certainly hell of a time. And once it is taken, one needs to have very firm resolve to get over the traumatic impact and I am so glad to know that your daughter could do so single handed...This is what I called reinventing yourself and she has made you proud to raise her kids as single mom...Nothing is as pleasing as seeing your kids safe and happy...Virginia she is a brave woman from the ashes she has picked the loose threads of life and just see how beautifully she is weaving a life for herself and her kids (and of course for her mom to be proud of her)...BRAVE WOMAN SHE IS...Pat from my side..God Bless her and her kids...

By HomeRearedChef on December 06, 2012 at 05:05 pm

Yes, Uttam, my daughter has shown strength and determination to accept the status of her life and move on. I believe that even as parents there is so much more that we can still learn from our children.

And thank you, Uttam, for your kind words. God bless you, too! :)