Thursday, December 14, 2017

Toxic & Lethal Orange and Chipotle Drops

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, December 05, 2012

A revamped take on Rum Balls. This recipe adds Grand Marnier instead, and chipotle for a kick!

These tasty morsels for adults are a treat for any Holiday celebration. A take from the old traditional “Rum Balls,” these liquor balls are lethal, and here revamped with orangey Grand Marnier.

CAUTION: Please eat these alcohol “toxic & lethal orange and chipotle drops” responsibly. Some folks are more sensitive to alcohol than others.

Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!

Recipe makes roughly 100 liquor balls

STEPS 1:

15 ounces of vanilla wafers, very finely crushed

2 cups pecans [measured whole], toasted and very finely chopped

3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar

1/3 white mocha powder (such as Ghirardelli)

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder

Pinch of salt

1/2 cup orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier)

1/4 cup brandy

1/3 cup orange marmalade

1/4 cup Baker’s [fine] sugar

1/8 cup sweetened cocoa (such as Ghirardeli)

• In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients and toss well.
  • Add the next 3 ingredients and mix well to incorporate, and then allow the mixture to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight before shaping.
  • Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll in sugar and cocoa mixture.
  • Store the Grand Marnier orange drops in an airtight container for at least 2-3 days to develop flavor, and up to 1 month.

Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

16 comments on Toxic & Lethal Orange and Chipotle Drops

By TonyBerkman on December 05, 2012 at 01:03 am

somehow someway I'll be tasting these

By melanie jean juneau on December 05, 2012 at 01:16 am

Tony, your comment has me barely surpressing laughter- you'll hve to buy all the ingedients, copy this post and tape it to the fridge door . That ought to do the trick

By TonyBerkman on December 05, 2012 at 01:25 am

next step is finding a chef ;-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 01:44 am

Hello Tony! Hey, food CAN be shipped, you know?! :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 01:45 am

But, Melanie, dear Amiga, food always tastes better when someone else prepares it for you. :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 01:47 am

Well, Tony, let me check my calendar. This home chef could pencil you in. lol!

Thanks for visiting my post, by the way. You lift my spirits! :)

By melanie jean juneau on December 05, 2012 at 01:59 am

Virginia you should send him some,

By Uttam Gill on December 05, 2012 at 03:14 am

Nothing is as intoxicating as reading this recipe...Rum Punch...Rum ball...and now “toxic & lethal orange and chipotle drops”...Virginia I must say that if I have to publicise your page to my natives from Punjab I will name it in Punjabi language “Virginia da Dhaba”(this means Virginia’s restaurant)

Let me share an extract from Wikipedia about Dhaba

“Dhaba is the name given to roadside restaurants in India and Pakistan. They are situated on highways and generally serve local cuisine, and also serve as truck stops.

Food at a local Dhaba in Punjab.

They are most commonly found next to petrol stations, and most are open 24 hours a day. Since most Indian truck drivers are of Punjabi descent, and Punjabi food and music is quite popular throughout India, the word dhaba has come to represent any restaurant that serves Punjabi food, especially the heavily spiced and fried Punjabi fare preferred by many truck drivers.

The word has come to represent sub-continental cuisine so much that many Indian restaurants in Europe and America have adopted it as a part of the name.

Dhabas were characterized by mud structures and cots to sit upon (called 'chaarpai' in Hindi - See Charpoy) while eating. A wooden plank would be placed across the width of the cot on which to place the dishes. With time, the cots were replaced by tables. The food is typically inexpensive and has a 'homemade' feel to it”

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 10:07 am

LOL! That's just what I was thinking, Melanie. A tasty Christmas gift! :)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 10:17 am

Dear Uttam, you never fail to surprise and put a smile on my face. Thank you! :)

"Virginia da Dhaba" I am so liking the sound of that. Wow! You what's funny here? I've talked to my husband about my desire to have a food truck, since they are gaining huge popularity at the present. But acquiring one is not cheap, and getting started is not easy. There is so much red tape and hurdles to jump. Sigh!

By the way, thank you for explaing about the local food in the little places in Punjab. Reading your story made me hunger for the sites and food of my mother's country of El Salvador. I came to this country when I was a mere eight-years-old, but I can still remember the out-of-the-way places we ate; they were simple little huts made of straw, and the women made their Pupusas and rice and beans in the very old fashioned way. I can actually still remember the awesome aromas and flavors. Ahh!

Your visits are always such a pleasure, Amigo. Thank you!

By Angie Alaniz on December 05, 2012 at 10:58 am

Holy Cow, those look amazing and easy to make.

I am going to try making them but there is no way they will last a month.

Good thing you didn't include the calorie count for each yummy drop!

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hi Angie! Well, they don't last that long. They really are that good. I am planning to make them a few days before Christmas Eve (so they will take good flavor) for my family that is gathering in our home. And for a treat such as this, a once-a-year indulgence, there is no way that I would want to know what the calories are either. LOL!

By Barbara MacDonald on December 05, 2012 at 11:50 am

I love any kind of rum balls and these sound and look amazing Virginia...When I am reborn may I come back and have you be my Mother, so you can cook for me everyday??? LOL...awesome as always...hugs dear lady...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 01:15 pm

And here you are, sweet Barbara, coming into my day like a ray of sunshine. :)

It would be an honor to be your mother in the next life. lol!

By the way, I am working on a cookbook (and have been for sometime now), I just can't seem to find motivation. Getting a book published is like pulling teeth without novacaine. SIGH!

By souschef on December 05, 2012 at 03:38 pm

Being a fan of Grand Marnier and orange in general I am very implressed with your variation to the standard Rumball!

These look REALLY good!

By HomeRearedChef on December 05, 2012 at 03:53 pm

Thank you, Souschef! I hope you will give them a try this holiday season. They really do liven up a party (not implying the booz do, but the deliciousness of the cookie-like ball). :)