Thursday, December 14, 2017

Ginger Snap Fried Chicken in Ginger Brine

Ginger Snap Fried Chicken freshly out of the oven.

This succulent fried chicken is first soaked 24-hours in a brine of sweet and salty buttermilk, buttermilk that has been infused with freshly grated ginger and a boost from ginger ale soda.

Ginger, a root and an herb, is used as a spice in culinary kitchens and many cultures throughout the world. It is also widely used as medicine. Ginger is pleasantly aromatic and pungent to the taste, delicious in a wide variety of sweet and savory dishes.

As you will see from this recipe, making fried chicken can be somewhat labor intensive, which is one of the reasons why it is often made for very special gatherings. However fried chicken is very much worth all the effort to put together!

Come; take a comfortable seat at our cozy table. Dinner is served!

Recipe is for a large crowd; serves 8-10.

STEPS 1 (brining chicken overnight):

1 quart full-fat buttermilk

1 quart ginger ale soda

1/4 cup sea salt or kosher salt

1/4 cup golden-brown sugar (packed tight)

1/4 cup boiled cider syrup (from King Arthur Flour), optional

1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger (more or less to taste)

3 large garlic cloves (more or less to taste), peeled and thinly sliced

4 pounds chicken (roughly 24 chicken parts)

• Into a large non-reactive bowl add all the brining ingredients (save the chicken parts) and mix well; making sure sugar and salt are dissolved.
  • Add chicken parts and toss well. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least overnight, and preferably up to 24 hours.

STEPS 2 (day of cooking):

Note: When fats are melted, you want to have a depth of at least 1-inch.

4 pounds lard (more or less as needed during cooking)

2 sticks (1-cup total) unsalted butter

• Using the large burner, on medium setting, add the fats to a large, heavy-bottomed pot, and slowly heat to about 350-360 degrees.

STEPS 3 (dredge & egg-wash):

Brined chicken pieces from steps 1

1½ cups all-purpose flour

1½ cups self-rising flour

1 cup Panko bread crumbs

1 cup [finely crushed] ginger snaps cookies (about 20 cookies)

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1/4 cup cornstarch

2 teaspoons kosher salt, or gray salt, or sea salt

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons ancho chili powder (optional)

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

1 cup buttermilk

2 extra-large eggs

• Take the bowl of chicken out of the fridge, and setup your workstation.
  • Into a bowl or sealable plastic zip-lock bag (1-2 gallon-size) or large paper bag combine the dry ingredients and mix well; set aside.
  • In a medium bowl lightly beat the buttermilk and eggs; set aside.

Note: Preheat oven to 350 degrees now.

• When the oil is ready, heated to about 350-360 degrees, take chicken pieces out of the brine and dip into the buttermilk/egg-wash, and then into the bag (a couple of pieces at a time) and shake to coat well. Shake off excess flour and continue.
  • Working with small batches (do not crowd chicken), carefully place 4-5 pieces of chicken in the oil and fry 3-4 minutes on each side until the coating is a light golden/amber brown. Remove the chicken from the oil and place on clean paper bags (spread open) to drip excess grease.

Note: Allow the oil to return to 350-360 degrees before frying each next batch.

• When all the chicken is fried, take chicken off the paper and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment (for easy clean-up) and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.

Enjoy with mashed potatoes, biscuits and gravy!

Cook with heart; eat with gusto. Buen Provecho!

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

13 comments on Ginger Snap Fried Chicken in Ginger Brine

By souschef on November 30, 2012 at 02:08 pm

Great degree of detail!

I could do this!

And the flavors you have combined look really good!

By HomeRearedChef on November 30, 2012 at 02:26 pm

Souschef, the flavors combined in this recipe are simply delicious. Let me know if you have a chance to try your hand at it. :)

By melanie jean juneau on December 01, 2012 at 04:02 pm

You are a creative genius in the kitchen,how on earth did you come up with this?

By HomeRearedChef on December 01, 2012 at 04:25 pm

Melanie, I love the flavor of ginger and my hubby and youngest daughter really like ginger snap cookies. Also, we really like ginger ale soda, so I put the three together. Wala! :)

By melanie jean juneau on December 01, 2012 at 04:47 pm

who would think of putting everything together and then sticking chicken in it- pure genius

By Barbara MacDonald on December 01, 2012 at 06:12 pm

Sorry I have been missing Virginia...my article will explain why....This sounds so yummy and like you I love ginger. Years ago I learned from some wonderful Caribbean friends the beauty of ginger...lol is also one of my favorite wines...Stone Ginger Wine...feels like brandy going down...does seem like a lot of work but well worth it I think...Thanks ...:-) ...hope all is well with you. Happy weekend my friend.

By HomeRearedChef on December 01, 2012 at 06:13 pm

Thank you, Melanie! My mother is always saying that she is impressed that my husband and I are very willing to try new things in the kitchen. And it is very rare when something doesn't turn out well, though it has happened. LOL!

By HomeRearedChef on December 01, 2012 at 06:18 pm

Hello, Barbara, it is VERY nice to see you. You have been missed, Amiga! :)

You roused my curiosity and looked up Stone Ginger Wine, and now I am going to have to go out and look for it. It sounds divine! My husband and I are always interested in tasting new things, and this sounds yummy. Thank you for the heads-up!

I am heading over now to read your post. Thank you for coming by today. And yes, all is well. :)

By Barbara MacDonald on December 01, 2012 at 06:22 pm

Is not posted yet I just submitted it... hopefully later this evening...thank you in advance...:-) .

By HomeRearedChef on December 02, 2012 at 02:15 pm

Barbara, I just got the notice this morning, so I am heading there now. Thank you, Amiga! :)

By Barbara MacDonald on December 02, 2012 at 05:18 pm

Thank you Virginia...:-)

By Uttam Gill on December 03, 2012 at 03:04 am

Ginger Ginger Ginger...Delicious delicacy of yours...yummmmmmyyyyyyy....I am under the spicy spell of Virginia's Cooking skills....lol...Hey Virginia you are going to spoil me with your mouth watering dishes...lol...Over here Ginger is called as 'adarak'...Ginger is always so enticing to my tongue...Virginia, have you ever tasted Ginger Pickle...

By HomeRearedChef on December 03, 2012 at 11:54 am

There you are, Uttam, and it is awfully nice to see you! :)

My husband and I really enjoy cooking, and maybe much too much for our own good. lol! And we love nothing more than to cook for others and watch them enjoy our home's creations. So I truly appreciate your comment, my friend.

"Adarak" a new word for me to remember. I like it! And no, I have never tasted Ginger Pickle, but now you've got my curiosity up. I think I will Google it. Thank you!!