Friday, October 20, 2017

Oh, Cursed, Wretched Menopause, When Will I Be Free?

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, November 14, 2012

Since becoming menopausal, my days are lived more like a performer in a three-ring circus, A Clown in The Circus of Life. And I live with an alter ego, that ever-wailing Menopausal Banshee.

Between the untimely crying, and occasional forced laughing—often mingled with more crying—everyone can see that I take center stage. I wear a double-sided painted face—a smile and a frown. I am the main attraction!

And nobody says anything to me, no sir-ree; I think they wouldn’t dare—my being menopausal and all. But if they could, they’d surely have plenty to say, and with good reason. No-one knows from one freakin’ minute to the next what mood I’ll be in or just who to expect to see: Me or the Banshee. Why…even I never know what mood I’ll find me in, or to what side of the bed I’ll wake up on.

Seriously, if I could, I’d run from me!

The fact that I am up one moment, smiling, laughing, joking, and then just unpleasant the next means that I am menopausal! It is just the new ME being my usual unpleasant menopausal self. I cry at the-drop-of-a-hat or throw little hissy-fits. Unreasonably, I may cry because my cake didn’t rise, my dinner was less than satisfactory (always, of course, in my professional opinion), or I dropped an egg on the floor. And, silly me, I’ll cry because a little ol’ fly snuck in and is therefore roaming my house?! I mean, get real! And just like Wimpy, I’d probably cry if I didn’t get my hamburger today!

But the worst reason for crying these days, that my pant’s zipper won’t zip or I can’t button closed a blouse or jacket—because I’ve been steadily gaining weight since becoming menopausal.

So where to go shopping for clothes now? For grins, try Oswald the Tent Maker; that is if I can even find such a place!

We dream a life to be; we live to dream that life! (vka)

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

13 comments on Oh, Cursed, Wretched Menopause, When Will I Be Free?

By Barbara MacDonald on November 14, 2012 at 08:59 am

Oh, hang in there Virginia, it does get better...lol I use to say I was having my own private summer...My friend, who was a few years older than I prepared me for this...she was crying during commercials and slowly going "insane" . My poor children had to ride this out with me...I froze the poor darlings...opening the window widely in the dead of winter,,,just too dang hot...I love your sense of humor. Sometimes all we can do is laugh at life..."this too will pass" :-)

By HomeRearedChef on November 14, 2012 at 10:03 am

Dear Barbara, I am very encouraged by your words, and isn't it wonderful to know we are not alone, or insane? lol! Now I think about my poor mother and how she went through menopause alone. It wasn't something women talked about then, it was "taboo." And even doctors then didn't quite understand it. So not until now do I understand my mother's up-and-down moods. The poor thing!

I am hanging in there, and I am kept kicking by the thought that "this too will pass!" :)

By Barbara MacDonald on November 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Yes, it is nice to know...I remember the day my friend called me crying...she had been watching a commercial on TV of all things, and she started crying...she thought she was losing her mind...but we ended up laughing about this... and laughter can make most things so much easier and better...you will be fine...just do what I did and call it your own private holiday...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on November 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I have actually written a lot of "funny" posts on menopause, which I am planning to share here. Laughter is the the best medicine, after all. And thank you, Amiga, for your support here. :)

By Barbara MacDonald on November 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Also for your's Virginia...is very nice getting to know you and read what you write...it is like a picture into your heart, which is very sweet...one of the many reasons I love the written word...:-)

By HomeRearedChef on November 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I think all we are missing now is sitting together to have a cup of coffee and my homemade Ricotta & Parmessan Pound Cake. :)

By melanie jean juneau on November 14, 2012 at 01:06 pm

Talk about great titles; yours grabbed my attention and elicited laughter as soon as a glanced at it. I am in agreement with you Viginia Is it possible to have a virtual coffee circle, it's sole aim to offer solance to menopausal women?

By HomeRearedChef on November 14, 2012 at 01:26 pm

I think I would call THIS HERE a "coffee circle," Amiga. I am finding solace here, with the two of you. Thank you! :)

By melanie jean juneau on November 14, 2012 at 01:37 pm

so it is

By souschef on November 15, 2012 at 12:13 am

Nicely done!

Glad to see you laughing at yourself.

By HomeRearedChef on November 15, 2012 at 12:32 am

Thank you, SousChef. But laughing is the only way to survive. :)

By Uttam Gill on November 15, 2012 at 01:13 am

Virginia reading this makes me wonder and I would like to share my close encounter with residual effects of Menopause... I have with me my life partner who at times placed question on my misplaced ignorance about change in women’s body. Many a time I have been subjected to harshest accusation that how little I know about woman and I wondered...Jokes apart I took in my stride the volleys of strange behaviour and got used to and subsequently adjusted to the given conditions...poor husband....lol(With no offence please) ..later I got to know that there is male menopause too and with my academic interest I explored and came to know male menopause is actually called as “ANDROPAUSE”...All the reasons and effects as spelled out there made me say in revulsion, that to hell with Andropause...lol...I am still kicking...no bloody academic explanation can hold my imagination in fear ...I shared this with my wife, that there is male menopause...she smiled and thereafter she never frowned over me...No matter what may come one must, get over this...Menopause or Andropause...Kick the life, smile and enjoy...

Thank you Virginia for making us smile...

By HomeRearedChef on November 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

Now you, Uttam, have made me smile AND laugh (not making fun of you, mind you). I have actually been working on a post (doing research on it) about men having the so-called menopause, which I have always believed in. I began to wonder if this "Andropause" has any connections with what they call men's "mid-life crisis?!"

So can we, men and women, when we reach our Menopause and Andropause call it a truce? :)

As always, dear Uttam, I can't wait to read your comments. Thank you for having made my day. Yours is the first comment I read this morning.