Monday, December 18, 2017

Is It Selfish To Live Without Prescribed Medications?

by HomeRearedChef (writer), San Jose, November 09, 2012

Is it really so wrong for someone to choose not to live a life that is extended through prescribed medications?

I have asked myself this question many, many times, and I always come back to the same conclusion: I refuse to live my life taking prescription drugs, no matter what the cost. It is my life, after all!

For many years I watched my younger brother, who had kidney failure, going through weekly dialysis—blood cleansing, 3-times a week, and each session lasted about 4-hours (not including hook-up and take-down time)—and I saw his great unhappiness, watched the zest for life he once had flow right out of him. Until one day, at age 30, he stopped treatments and gave up on life.

Some choose life, and to live for as long as they possibly can, even if it means taking on a boat-load of medications. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone making that choice. But we are all very individual beings; how we view life and how we choose to live it is a very personal thing.

I also watched my father’s health decay from too much medication. What began as one prescription to help one problem begat another and yet another. Each medication that was given to him was to offset what the previous medication had begun; a new symptom, a new problem. And he, too, soon got tired of living with pain, because there was nothing that could alleviate his many discomforts.

My father’s symptoms all began with high-blood pressure. And at the age of 67, he, too, gave up on life. He, too, lost his desire for living.

It is a well known fact that many people today are over-medicated, and dying from it. Doctors prescribe, giving you to try one medication and then another, but cannot guarantee the outcome and that is understandable.

I have seen this happen now much too many times over the years, with family and friends. I have seen their health decline, and mostly because of too many medications.

So I made up my mind a long time ago; I never want to live my life by prescribed medicine or to be placed on a machine-assisted life. This, naturally, has often started my family into great debates. But, ultimately, it is still my decision, my final choice to make!

What are your thoughts on taking prescribed medications?

HomeRearedChef is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

12 comments on Is It Selfish To Live Without Prescribed Medications?

By souschef on November 09, 2012 at 03:04 pm

A very deep question. I guess it depends on what the drugs will be doing to your quality of life while they are supposed to be fixing a problem. Is the danger of putting the chemicals in your body out-weighed by the good they are supposed to do for you.

All good questions you should be able to discuss with your physician before accepting medications.

By HomeRearedChef on November 09, 2012 at 03:14 pm

Agreed Souschef! And on my next visit to my doctor I plan to take a notebook and pen, because I have many questions that I will insist an answer to. :)

Thank you for your input!

By neelium on November 09, 2012 at 03:52 pm

It's escaping me right now, but there is actually a medical term for being on too many different medications, because it increases the likelihood of interactions.

Also, a lot of the decision on whether to prolong life through any means necessary or not is often a question of quality vs. quantity of life. You may find this essay interesting: http://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2011/11/30/how-doctors-die/ideas/nexus/

By Barbara MacDonald on November 09, 2012 at 04:15 pm

Very powerful questions and I guess there is no one answer...is so variable, depending on the person and the situation. I do agree that I never would want to be kept alive on life support, if there is no hope of recovery, I think we all should have the right to chose to die with dignity...Death truly does not frighten me , as I know there is more...what I find frightening is slowly suffering with pain...I pray I die in my sleep , with a smile on my face. Great writing , as usual Virginia...thank you.

By HomeRearedChef on November 09, 2012 at 05:35 pm

Hello Neelium! I totally agree that, it is a question of quality vs. quantity of life. I feel that there are way too many doctors that over-medicate their patients these days. And each medication has the possibility of a few side-effects. That's where the problem exacerbates. Sigh!

And thank you very much for the link, I plan to follow it and read it with my husband, since we both have the same questions.

By HomeRearedChef on November 09, 2012 at 05:44 pm

I feel as you do, I hope to go in my sleep, when my time comes. I think suffering is a very scary thought. Sigh! And my husband and I have already discussed the issue of life support, neither one of us wants to be obligated to go through something like that. *Shiver*

As always, Barbara, I appreciate your input, so I truly thank you for your visit. :)

By melanie jean juneau on November 09, 2012 at 06:01 pm

I read that more spiritual people choose a natural death than unbeleivers. More spiritual pople refuse life support because they are not afraid if death. Desth is afterall, the final letting go but we have dome that thousnads of times. There have been thousands of little deathe in our spiritual walk

By Uttam Gill on November 09, 2012 at 08:29 pm

Self medication and prescribed one could never convince me with logical standing. Let me be cynical with bitterness of loosing my dear ones …I saw them decaying in front of me…I saw their agonizing moments of pain… no medicine could contain their atrophy…My mother died of Parkinson at early age of 64 and my younger sister committed suicide…she was suffering from epilepsy …They both were on heavy medications…They perished…I know we all have to die one day …but why a myth is floated around to sell medicines…In a multi billion dollar business of medicines certainly some where truth is the casualty…I am not here to undermine the huge efforts made in medical research but yes I have legitimate write to question the unethical practices by the doctors…There is an unholy nexus between doctor and the Manufacturers/Traders…We all fear death and that’s how they encash on this and in the bargain life becomes to cheap and many people just parish…

In my humble opinion life is not too cheap to be bartered away by submitting to prescriptions which only holds the purpose of filling somebody’s coffers

Thanks Virginia for raking up this issue in your article…

By Uttam Gill on November 09, 2012 at 08:31 pm

please read life becomes too cheap

By Uttam Gill on November 09, 2012 at 08:31 pm

please read life becomes too cheap

By HomeRearedChef on November 10, 2012 at 12:58 am

Melanie, I know that for me, a Christian, I am not afraid of death, I am only afraid of suffering. Nobody wants to feel physical pain. My only fear is feeling like I haven't accomplished with my family, my children, all that I am supposed to do. I know, I should trust that God will finish what He has started.

By HomeRearedChef on November 10, 2012 at 01:05 am

Uttam, it really hurts to hear what your dear mother and sister had to go through. I am so very sorry. I understand, because I watched my brother and father suffer. I saw and felt their spirit dying little by little, till they couldn't take it anymore.

My fear is not death, my fear is suffering. And I do believe that some medications may help in some situations, but I don't believe that all medications can really do what doctors tell us they can. So if and when my time comes, I will have to weigh my decision.

Thank you, my friend, for taking the time to read and comment. And thank you for the book you have suggested for reading. I will look for it. :)