Thursday, December 14, 2017

What I Think, Ed Rogers

Credit: The Washington Post
Ed Rogers, Washington Post columnist

In which the author replies to an election day column by the Washington Post's Ed Rogers.

When I started this blog, I certainly didn't see it as a place to write responses to Washington Post columnists. And yet here I am again. The Washington Post is the national newspaper I read every day. I especially like the fact that it is free on the web. I've written before about moving on from The New York Times and The Los Angeles Times after these newspapers set up paywalls. I was pleased last week when the New York Times temporarily disabled their paywall to provide free coverage of superstorm Sandy. And I do occasionally read an occasional piece from the New York Times when the URL is tweeted or linked in a blog post, either of which seem to bypass the paywall.

I almost spewed coffee on my screen this morning when I read Ed Rogers histrionic diatribe detailing his impending 'brain explosion' due to the fact that it seems as though President Obama may be re-elected, despite all of the various 'political dynamics' which Rogers claim all favorMcLame err Romney. The facts that Rogers cites are in fact real (the 2010 Republican sweep, high unemployment) and yet readings his rant, I find myself wondering if Rogers has been watching some campaign other than the one I have been seeing. That Romney callously dismisses almost half of all Americans (the forty-seven percent) was to me the most amazing public comment of the election season.

And despite whatever Mr. Rogers may think, I assure you at least some of us in that forty-seven percent do vote. (Our ballots have been turned in for more than a week and in this household we are most anxious for the election to be Over.) Rogers does end his piece by proclaiming that nothing has been decided and this election is still very much up in the air. I don't disagree with that. And if you are a registered voter and you haven't cast your vote yet, do it today or tomorrow. Because come Tuesday night, your opportunity will have passed. No matter where you live there are almost certainly local, state and national races where you vote may count for a lot, even in you are not a 'swing voter' in a 'swing state', the only voters the Presidential campaigns and all of their press junkies are slavering over. No excuses. Go vote.

This article first appeared in the capitaL eLs blog on November 5, 2012.

Libdrone is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

8 comments on What I Think, Ed Rogers

By Ray Colon on November 05, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Hi Lib,

I fear that an engaged electorate is a pipedream. Despite pleas of voter engagement, like this post, the number of nonparticipants remains appauling. In 2008, a supposedly revved up populous headed to the polls. I took a look at the numbers for a post that I wrote in 2010, Pie Holes, and was shocked at what I learned about voter turnout:

• Registered but did not vote: 7% (over 15 million people).
  • Did not register: 29% (nearly 60 million people).

So 64% of Americans were left to make the choice for us all.

Like your family, my family votes! This is my eldest daughter's first election. I'm so happy for her. There really is no sane reason not to vote. Let's hope that your post gets at least one additional person off of the couch.

By Libdrone on November 05, 2012 at 01:08 pm

Ray, I don't doubt your statistics if they are national or specific to your state. But here in Pierce County, Washington we are expecting a turn out of 80% for this election. That to me seems almost like enough for me to be able to say that most people here vote.

By melanie jean juneau on November 05, 2012 at 01:29 pm

Some people view the world through dung coloured glasses

By Ray Colon on November 05, 2012 at 01:35 pm

My statistics were national and my source was the U.S. Census Bureau. If you calculate turnout by voting age population, as I did in my comment, than 80% is great, but if the calculation is based on registered voters only, as it often is, then the 2008 turnout was 89.6%. In either case, the apathy of the 60 million people who did not bother to register is significant.

By Angie Alaniz on November 05, 2012 at 02:42 pm

Unfortunately I seem to agree with Mr. Rogers BUT make no mistake I do find myself scratching my head wondering...

"How the heck is that possible"?

By Libdrone on November 05, 2012 at 08:56 pm

Ray,

I suspect you are right that the 80% rate I was boasting of is for registered voters. I don't really know what to do about those who don't bother registering and feel so disconnected from the political process that they see no stake for them in becoming involved enough to cast a ballot. Whether or not it is better for 'low information' voters to self select themselves out of the electorate by not registering....I honestly couldn't say.

Angie, I don't care if we disagree about this election. I'm glad we're friends and sometimes like to chat about things that aren't nearly so contentious as national politics :)

By ksophia on November 05, 2012 at 09:11 pm

Older men dating younger women, or older women dating younger men. ==Ageloves.com==, It has gained popularity among men and women who enjoy energy and security. It has 11 years history and it is a serious and safe dating site. They verify all members. NO scammers or fake profiles here. Every day there are 5500000 active and identified members. You can find local easily. I like to share it. Hope everyone will soon find their life mate.

By beachlove on May 02, 2014 at 04:45 am

This is a great article. I really enjoyed reading it.

buy instagram likes