Saturday, November 25, 2017

This Canadian Loved Obama's Speech.

Credit: daughter
Obama's speeches are a bright light shining from the States.

I am an outsider, a Canadian, who rarely watches T.V. but perhaps this gives me a fresh perspective on Obama's speech.

I usually write in the family section but I disagreed so strongly with a recent post on the American President that I took a stab at writing a political article.

A post, written by 'Susan', expressed her angry reaction to a speech given by the American President when he was in Roanoke in July. She was upset because her family had struggled and suffered great hardships to build a business, without any outside help. Obama's words seemed to belittle their efforts.The following is the speech given by President Obama in Roanoke this July.
"There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a business -- you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That's how we funded the G.I. Bill. That's how we created the middle class. That's how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That's how we invented the Internet. That's how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that's the reason I'm running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You are not on your own, we're in this together."

A commentator asked what I thought about this speech, as a mother of a large family, who has worked hard with her husband, to provide for our family. She expected Obama's "attack" on hard-working citizens would upset me. I wasn't upset in the least. It seems to me that many American are quick to take offense and even quicker to attack verbally, often taking quotes out of context. Now I don't understand all of Obama's policies or his whole agenda but I do know that he strikes me as an intelligent, knowledgeable man who is honestly trying to improve his country. The American system is a strangely adversarial, as other opposing politicians only seem interested in thwarting their president not serving their country. I am an outsider, a Canadian, who rarely watches T.V. but perhaps this gives me a fresh perspective on this typical speech by Obama.

I liked it.

Why?

In my opinion, Obama was not attacking small business people who work hard, seemingly without help. He was talking about something completely different from "Susan". I commiserate with "Susan's" pain because we also have struggled against financial difficulties and faced oppressive forces that seemed bent to destroy us. We felt alone, isolated

However, on a different level, I know that the past generation's ceiling is my floor. I was not forced to "reinvent the wheel " but rather I benefited from the knowledge and practical experience of my fore fathers. Our family is especially grateful to those who fought for freedom and democracy. Our lives would have been very different if we had lived in a communist country.

THAT is what your president was trying to say.

THAT is what he meant.

We are not island unto ourselves, we are a community. Every one's actions and even thoughts, attitudes and emotions affect those around them and even reverberate throughout the larger community.

In Obama's words,"You are not on your own, we're in this together."

My husband and I raised 9 children on a hobby farm and discovered fulfilment and joy.The very existence of a joyful mother of nine children seems to confound people. My writing is humourous and heart warming/ thoughtful and thought provoking with a strong current of spirituality running through it.

6 comments on This Canadian Loved Obama's Speech.

By Agit8r on September 19, 2012 at 09:43 pm

people get those ideas from cable "news". I was visiting my parents the week that that Roanoke speech happened, and so of course I saw the Fox News account. The first few times the anchor read from the transcript out of context and had a completely different inflection. Later a different Fox program played the video footage of the president saying the very same line, to which my dad said "That wasn't the BAD part!"

By melanie jean juneau on September 19, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Why on earth would a reputable news station twist Obama's words. I know Fox is anti Obama but those methods are more appropriate for tabloids!

By Randy Mitchell on September 20, 2012 at 11:02 am

As one who follows the political landscape from all media outlets extremely closely, please don't be fooled by this President's agenda. Obama wants nothing more than to redistribute wealth and grow government at astronomical levels. His policies have failed miserably when you consider our astronomical debt, failing foreign policy, and huge umemployment numbers. Those of you in Canada should be hoping for a new President come this fall. When America's economy grows, it's beneficial to our allies such as youselves. America was founded on entrepreneurship, not on Socialism. He believes that no one can succeed without government help. And I for one, whose owned businesses can tell you, we don't grow an economy with a President like this. If you study his history, his early years as a campaigner in Chicago, believe me, you will understand his agenda even further. Please don't be fooled by his dreamy speech making, they are empty words and the last four years are the result.

By melanie jean juneau on September 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

Enlightening. I am ignorant about the details but the general impression we have about Obama is that inherited a mess and has been blocked from actually implementing any meaningful reforms. Conservatives favour big businesses and exempt them from fair taxation. Also large coperations collect subsidies like those for cotton when they are already making huge profits. ( Info gleaned from documentaries)From a Canadian perspective, if putting a stop to the rich in power aiding rich friends is called socialism, so be it.

By Randy Mitchell on September 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

You have brought to light the entire argument about this election. Conservatives do favor big business because businesses, and their owners, are the ones who provide jobs, not government. We have the highest corporate tax rate here, and it's one of the reasons companies, and most who make products, provide services, and are the job creators want lower taxes, less regulation, and pro-business policies. When government becomes more and more involved in peoples lives, the economy fails. Higher taxes and more taxpayer funded entitilements are where this President lives, and it's mainly because our Congress was taken back by Republicans in 2008 were we able to stop him from making further economic damage. If he's re-elected, our National Debt will skyrocket to further astronomical levels, guaranteed.

Obama loves nothing more than to blame others for his failures-the sure sign of a weak person, not a leader. Our economy was in a huge slump when he took over, however, he talked a big game while campaigning that he would turn it all around during his first term. It hasn't happened, and it's time for him to go.

I'm glad that a citizen from Canada has inquired about this. But I can speak for most when I say that Obama has been one of the most polorizing, divisive, intrusive people to ever hold the office.

Our American Constitution is all about personal freedom. The freedom to become economically successful and grow personally with limited government. People become rich by creating products and services which in turn provides jobs. So anything which can be done to help that system helps everyone.

Thanks...

By Randy Mitchell on September 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Sorry, a typo from my last comments. Our Congress was taken back in 2010, not 2008.