Thoughts To Ponder
Several years ago the sociology department of Duke University did a study on "peace of mind." Several factors were found to contribute greatly to emotional and mental stability, they are:
- Forgive . Rid yourself of suspicion and resentment. Nursing a grudge was a major factor in unhappiness.
- Forget . Live in the present. An unwholesome preoccupation with old mistakes and failures leads to depression.
- Accept life . Don't waste time and energy fighting conditions you cannot change. Cooperate with life, instead of trying to run away from it.
- Stay involved . Force yourself to stay involved with the living world. Resist the temptation to withdraw and become reclusive during periods of emotional stress.
- Roll with the punches . Refuse to indulge in self-pity when life hands you a raw deal. Accept the fact that nobody gets through life without some sorrow and misfortune.
- Be old-fashioned . Cultivate the old-fashion virtues -- love, honor, compassion and loyalty.
- Be reasonable . Don't expect too much of yourself. When there is too wide a gap between self-expectation and your ability to meet the goals you have set, feelings of inadequacy are inevitable.
- Go outside yourself . Find something bigger than yourself to believe in. Self-centered, egotistical people score lowest in any test for measuring happiness.
Great advice...I wonder how many of us are able to follow it...