Friday, November 24, 2017

My Least Favorite Beach Boy

by Matt Weston (writer), New York, April 21, 2007

April has been the cruelest month for John McCain’s presidential campaign.

On April 1st, Senator McCain, in an attempt to demonstrate the improving security conditions in Baghdad, led a congressional delegation through the capital’s Shorja marketplace. Later described as a “safe stroll,” the delegation was accompanied by over 100 soldiers in armored vehicles with attack helicopters circling overhead.

McCain and the rest of the delegation wore bulletproof vests during their hour-long visit, as soldiers redirected traffic and restricted access in the market to Americans only. Sharpshooters were also posted on rooftops.

No American casualties were reported during McCain’s visit. The delegation indeed proved Baghdad security is sound for those intrepid enough to move about for sixty-minutes with a heavy military escort.

While on a campaign stop in South Carolina this week, McCain sung the words “Bomb Iran” to the Beach Boys’ tune “Barbara Ann” in response to a question about potential military action to thwart Tehran’s suspected build-up of nuclear weapons.

Campaign spokesman Matt David said the question was put light-heartedly and McCain was trying to bring levity to the discussion.

On Thursday, McCain told reporters in Las Vegas that critics of his “Bomb Iran” joke need to “lighten up and get a life.”

Although the United States refuses to take a military option off the table, administration officials say they will pursue a diplomatic solution with Iran. While McCain has yet to be tapped as a resource in the negotiations, surely his folksy charm would help to defuse these tense proceedings.

Soon Fred Thompson may be in need of a running mate. It’s never too early to start jockeying, Senator McCain.

Matt Weston is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

7 comments on My Least Favorite Beach Boy

By Steven Lane on April 21, 2007 at 11:51 am
Bomb Iran, Barbara Ann...I have been described as a liberal in here more than once. Sorry, that is funny. We can't take life so seriously every second of our day. I won't vote him, but I will chuckle with him.

By Kay C on April 21, 2007 at 01:34 pm
Might be slightly funny if it wasn't looming as such an ugly possibility and scores of HUMAN people in the region weren't being blown to smithereens. Reminds me of the time Mr. Bush was making fun of "no weapons of mass destruction" by searching for them under tables at a black tie dinner. I mean gee whiz, imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Imagine if China decided to "topple our dictator" and free us from a regime they didn't like and we didn't like, and then back home in China at an expensive dinner, China's leader made fun of....oh my, wait, we DO have weapons of mass destruction---many many many WMDS. Insane, arrogant, projection. Hopefully, we can find a way to lead for peace before the karma comes calling.

By Kay C on April 21, 2007 at 06:32 pm
It's not my life I'm worried about, El G, - it's the countless innocents who lose theirs. I can be 'light' about a lot of things, including your very often amusing wit; however, "joking" about dropping bombs on strangers (to convince them not to make bombs) is where my light airy fluffy side comes to an end - especially when such a horrendous possibility is not out of the realm of possibility. Call me a stick in the mud.

By Matt Weston on April 21, 2007 at 10:31 pm
Cankles, wow. I can't believe the movie Shallow Hal spawned a new word. Has the OED gotten around to making that one official? The ill-conceived publicity stunt in Shorja did way more damage than the "Bomb Iran" joke / gaffe will. In fact, I saw moveon.org almost instantly ran it as part of a McCain attack ad ... which provoked a letter from the McCain camp maligning the liberal site for, essentially, grabbing at straws. I'm not a fan, but point for McCain.

By brookekb on April 22, 2007 at 04:06 pm
Katherine Carlson, i am in total agreement with your comment at 3:21 p.m! i am also impressed with your ability to hold your ground in your exchanges with El G. Perhaps a radio talkshow with the 2 of you is on the horizon? I would enjoy the witty interplay of your opposing viewpoints!

By Kay C on April 22, 2007 at 07:51 pm
Thank you, brookekb.

By Shawn Norris on April 25, 2007 at 12:51 am
For a man who spent 5 1/2 years in a Vietnamese POW camp to have any sense of humor is pretty impressive to me. This is just another chance for the media to take shots at people who don't agree with their political agendas. He didn't bomb Iran and he probably never will, but if he can bring a little moral to American soldiers than let the man sing...