Thursday, December 14, 2017

Mr. Jobs Should've Taken His Medicine

Credit: David Freedman
The Medicine Man

The Choice Between White Lab Coats And Alternative Healing

I don’t think many knew, besides his inner circle, that Steve Jobs could’ve possibly beaten his fatal cancer if he had only taken his doctors advice and succumbed to traditional medical procedures, particularly, an operation which could’ve removed his tumors much sooner than he decided. This information has been coming out as the release of his authorized autobiography arrive on everyone’s Kindle, I-Pad, and Bookshelf.

Now, this wasn’t all that surprising to me. After all, he’d turned to experimental treatment procedures, alternative medicine for pain and healing, and spiritual advisors for lifestyle advice. Of course, it was his right to choose them all because this was his life. But in the end, these were choices which most probably cost him dearly. He claimed he didn’t want anyone to open up his body, and that certain diets along with lots of meditation would make it all go away. Well, for such a brilliant man, these new revelations, I’ll admit, make me second-guess some of his basic common sense. And in my opinion, he should’ve thought a little more about the people he’s left behind who depended on his techno-genius before electing to go the way of the coffee enema.

Steve Jobs was perhaps one of millions of others who’ve gone to their graves thinking there was an alternative way of saving themselves, and it saddens me seeing so many running toward these dysfunctional theories. Now, I know there are scores of people that believe in non-traditional methods of treating illness, that’s certainly your right. And for some reason, it seems to be the rage in our modern society. It’s chic, trendy, and cool. Health food stores everywhere are filled with shelves bulging with vitamin supplements, herbal compounds, liquid bottles of gold, and even chiropractors sitting in a back room all guaranteeing to make you feel better and live until the ripe old age of 100. Alternative medicine product manufacturing is a huge, multi-billion dollar business, selling a pill for every ache, twinge, sniffle, and pain your body might feel. And the advertising for these products, wow, talk about making you think you’re missing out on some of nature’s finest remedies. But, here me out because in my opinion, and this is just MY opinion, I think it’s all a bunch of false propaganda.

My family is filled with medical professionals. A Doctor, Nurse, and Pharmaceutical Expert have surrounded me all my life. They labored through years and years of intense training and study to be able to treat the illnesses of others. There is real, hard, logical evidence that the modern medicines they promote and methods used work because of the enormous scientific proof backing them up. Sure, the drug companies make large profits, but guess what, they invest years, sometimes decades and billions of dollars in clinical research, trial and error, and employee dedication before a single pill is ever allowed on the market. Not only that, their potential liability is astronomical if a lone person is caused harm from their usage. Everything they sell is regulated by the FDA. Some may say I’m biased. No, I’m not. I’m merely speaking as someone who wholeheartedly believes in medical science when it comes to treating illness, period. Now, does traditional medicine work every time? Of course not, often-times human sickness is just too far advanced for treatment. But, which would you choose to play Russian roulette with your life: A marijuana cigarette or dose of chemotherapy?

Some might ask: Have I ever tried anything alternative? Well, let’s see. I previously gave it a shot by taking multi-vitamins, Omega 3, garlic, B6, B4, Oatmeal, and CoQ10 for my heart trying to lower cholesterol levels, like, you know, all the experts on television swear by. Green tea was my beverage of choice--supposedly giving me lots of those life-saving antioxidants we all hear about. I waited a few months and had my blood re-checked. Well, after swallowing lots of pills and spending plenty of money, not one digit changed in my HDL/LDL levels. Not one. Then, I consulted my Doctor. That’s right, a genuine, certified M.D. He quickly prescribed a Statin which I tried. After two months, my cholesterol was lowered from 260 to 154 and all levels were well within normal range. He also ran other checks of my body chemistry, helping to get my diet squared away. This has resulted in losing weight, when before, the diet pills that the nice lady at the super-duper-organic-food-store suggested I buy did nothing but give me gas.

Years ago, I went to a psychic a couple of times mainly for the experience. Both were nice people and seemed to have my best interests at heart. They held my hand, meditated, flipped a few cards, read my astrological chart, played some soothing music, urged the spirits to come forth, and projected my future. One even waved her hands over a leg cramp I was having at the time-spreading her coveted, healing energy. And oh, I forgot, they also took my money. Did any of their predictions come true? Nope. Not one. Was my pain relieved? Not hardly. Some might say it was because of my skeptical attitude, therefore keeping the stars from aligning in just the right way. But, I don’t think so. In my opinion, nobody has the ability to predict anyone’s future. They were interesting and entertaining experiences, yes they were, but fell horribly flat when it came to realistic expectations.

So, tell me. When the cancer cells come and the heart troubles begin, who you gonna’ call? You’re Guru or your Doctor? Which one has the research and results to back up their actions? Do you think smoking tree bark or sleeping while facing certain stars will cure what ails you, or would a surgeon’s scalpel more likely lead you to a longer life?

For my money, I’ll take the guys and gals in the white lab coats any day of the week.

Randy Mitchell is a blogger on lifestyle, writing and relationship topics and is a published author of inspirational romance. His first novel "Sons In The Clouds" is available in paperback on Amazon. To read more about Randy, visit www.theinspirationalwriter.com.

23 comments on Mr. Jobs Should've Taken His Medicine

By TonyBerkman on October 26, 2011 at 03:55 pm

Randy, this is an excellent article. It is easy to be swayed by the "attacks" on drug companies and doctors, who are supposedly "just in it for the money." The arguments are very convincing including the one that Medical Journals are funded by the drug companies and are therefore going to always say positive things about their funders. It's also easy to forget that we are talking about people that have dedicated their lives to protecting and saving the lives of others. They give up plenty of opportunities when they invest their time and money to go to Medical School and keep up with all the exams and certifications. It is not an easy profession. I appreciate that you shared your experience of taking all the pills that are so highly toughted as decreassing the risk of heart disease or cancer yet when you did go for a check up the results were nought. That's interesting. I tend to be a person that believes in miracles and have often wondered if I'd run off to Jamaica if diagnosed with cancer and smoke marijuana and drink a magical juice rather than going through traditional treatments. Your article certainly gives one pause for thought. It also highlights the issue of how a human can be brilliant in one area of his or her life yet perhaps negligent and not too bright in another aspect.

By Randy Mitchell on October 26, 2011 at 04:05 pm

Thank you for your comments, Tony. I think in the case of Steve Jobs, his religious convictions prevented him from seeing the truth of what lay before him, when everyone, including his wife, was pleading for him to seek out realistic methods of treating his condition. Like lots of people out there, I've given alternative medicine a try as I wrote about here. But, when ones life is at stake, I'll take proven science anyday. And the dedicated professionals in the hospitals, they truly have our best interests at heart. Thank you again for your review.

By DKIdea on October 27, 2011 at 03:05 am

If that is the extent of your trying alternative medicine...then you haven't tried anything. The book "Politics in Healing" details very well, the numerous cures and treatment for cancer that the medical industry has turned a blind eye to because there in no money in cures...only job loss for many in the treatment industry. Not only that, but there is just no explanation for this:

Proven science is suppresed for profit...so if you really want to take proven science any day, then get informed.

By DKIdea on October 27, 2011 at 03:27 am

Just to speed up your education....

It was interesting during the 2008 Olympics that nobody followed up on the story of the Russian olympian that came out of retirement to vault for Germany (she got the Silver) after making a deal to do so contingent upon the Germans curing her son of Luekemia...

Perhaps Steve Jobs should have been better informed, but he was on the right track...chemo and radiation are relics in medical treatment.

By Randy Mitchell on October 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

DKidea, I appreciate your comments, however I've known others who've tried alternative medicine to treat illness with the same results. My limited experience was just one of them. You're entitled to your opinions, however, if Mr. Jobs was on the right track how'd that work out for him? When there's something inside your body as lethal as cancer cells you have them removed before they get a chance to spread which is why early detection is so important.

By DKIdea on October 27, 2011 at 06:22 pm

Let's examine the logic here...

I have known others that used alternative medicine, and it saved their lives. The very links I posted are clear evidence with real researchable people and conditions...not heresay and false claims.

The reason why Mr. Jobs was on the right track is because he, like me and probably you, have known many many people that have done chemo and radiation...and still died. In fact, MOST people that go through conventional treatment...die.

You are right about your limited knowledge though, because removal doesn't work...that's called surgery and 99% of the time all the cells are not removed. Cutting, chemo and radiation are the methods you stand by...then tell me...how is that working out for most people that get cancer...?

Reversing the process of cancer and eradicating the cells without toxicity sounds better to me.

This man...

has a BETTER success rate than conventional medicine and people can only see him AFTER cutting, chemo and radiation fail. Ever wonder what his success rate would be if those peo[le didn't waste time on methods that are proven NOT to work...as evidenced by the fact that MOST die using these methods...?

I form my opinions based on the evidence...and if conventional treatment were succesful and the best option, I would agree that Mr. Jobs made a mistake...but the assumption that he would have lived if he had gone under the knife, got eradiated...and pumped full of chemicals doesn't make any sense based on the evidence that most die using these treatments.

Prevention is the best option...and Americans are not the healthiest people in the world or have the best mortality rate when treating cancer. So I say again...educate yourself.

By TonyBerkman on October 27, 2011 at 07:55 pm

It's highly unlikely that either one of you will abandon your belief systems.

By Randy Mitchell on October 28, 2011 at 10:01 am

Well said, Tony. And again Dkidea your opinions are always welcome.

By DKIdea on October 29, 2011 at 06:49 pm

Yes...I think you're correct Tony.

Thank you Randy for the invitation.

I leave you with this..

...and hope the confusion between opinion and fact can be cleared.

By TonyBerkman on October 29, 2011 at 07:02 pm

Thanks DK and Randy. DK I'll watch the video and leave a comment here afterwards.

By Gilit on October 31, 2011 at 04:29 pm

I lost a 41 year old friend last week who had Ewing sarcoma and followed traditional, conventional medicine, including radiation therapy. She recovered from the cancer and lived for another 5 years, only to get a new type of sarcoma, AS A RESULT OR RADIATION therapy. By then, nothing conventional helped and she suffered greatly, dying just a few months before her 42nd birthday. In this case, an alternative lifestyle instead of the radiation 7 years ago may have saved her life...or not. Conventional medicine does not always beat cancer.

By TonyBerkman on October 31, 2011 at 07:20 pm

Gilit, I'm sorry to hear such sad news. I don't think eithe path one takes is going to "beat cancer." It seems like cancer rates are rising though simultaneously there appears to be new drugs on the horizon that are preventing cancers. There is the vaccine that they are recommending teenage boys get that prevents throat and anal cancer. It seems as though living a healthy lifestyle -- that includes a lot of greens as well as traditional western medicine is a practical and reasonable approach. There certainly is something to be said for trying other approaches though I don't know if I'd have the courage to exclude the practices that procedures and drugs that have been developed either.

By DKIdea on October 31, 2011 at 08:22 pm

Gilit, I'm sorry for your loss.

"Traditional Western Medicine" is abysmal when compared to the rest of the world when it comes to preventing and treating cancer. The chemicals poison your body and the radiation causes cancer...these are well known and accepted facts. The only time Western Medicine can be touted as something great is when it comes to trauma...

"Politics In Healing" details exactly why we have a lost history in cancer cures...cancer is an industry. Why more people aren't outraged by the constraints that are placed on any possible cure...I'll never know.

If there can't be a patent placed on it and profit made from it...then it isn't considered...and people accept this as the best and only way to a cure...?

Take responsibility for your health because trusting in a pharmacutical company to save you is ridiculous since the object of any "company" is to make a profit.

By Alvaro on November 01, 2011 at 10:36 am

Here is a question for Randy: what do you do if cancer was detected on relative, doctors open the person and they tell you the common fatal words that are told every day:

"there's nothing to do, cancer have expanded, we cut what we can, but it was too late, take your relative home and give him/her a lot of love...". You ask for a second advise and they tell you the same thing.

Do you sit and wait for death to come? Or do you try to find a solution by researching? If another relative or friend came with an alternative medicine treatment, will you tell this person: no, doctors said there is nothing to do? Or do you research yourself to see if this solution can really help?

Thanks.

By Randy Mitchell on November 01, 2011 at 02:43 pm

Gilit, I'm very, very sorry for your friend. Yes, conventional medicine doesn't always work, but a great deal of the time it does. And Alvaro, if it was myself, or a realtives life and the disease had spread to a point of being beyond treatment, of course I'd be open to other means. However, the point to my article is when people rely solely on alternative medicine and neglect to utilize traditional methods, they are not giving science a chance to work for them. Could Mr. Jobs have beaten his cancer if he'd taken his Doctor's advice? We'll never know. My prayer is that deadly diseases such as this are one day cured so we can all live much longer lives without fearing them.

By DKIdea on November 01, 2011 at 06:16 pm

Randy...can you please define what "a great deal of the time" means to you. It is a fact that the majority of the time, conventional medicine doesn't work, so I'm very interested in what "a great deal" means.

Please, if you're going by the five year survival rate...lets nip that in the bud quickly:

Science stopped working to cure cancer when having cancer became an industry for the pharmacutical companies. If your prayers are sincere about cancer being cured...then they are being answered by all the information being presented to you on this thread.

I remember when I used to think as you do Randy...then my family died from cancer and I did some serious digging and investigation...and once I left the Matrix, I just couldn't go back. I just can't be willfully ignorant.

By Angie Alaniz on November 06, 2011 at 12:25 am

I think in Jobs situation it's easy to criticize what he did or didn't do even if we consider it to be "constructive criticism". Personally, I believe both methods can be very helpful depending on what kind of cancer it is and what stage its in. I also believe the most important thing for healing, is where the persons state-of-mind is during their ordeal. I believe the man was smart enough to make up his own decision on how he wanted to proceed with his cure. That is didn't work for him, well sometimes it just doesn't. It comes down to his or her own epistemology.

btw - Super article, great info., and wonderful personal views and comments.

By Randy Mitchell on November 06, 2011 at 10:16 am

Thanks, Angie. Yes, these are just my personal views and folks like Mr. Jobs did what he felt was best for himself.

By Seriously? on November 11, 2011 at 12:18 am

He had pancreatic CA..for gods sake!!!!

Survival RatesAccording to the American Cancer Society, for all stages of pancreatic cancer combined, the one-year relative survival rate is 20%, and the five-year rate is 4%. These low survival rates are attributable to the fact that fewer than 20% of patients' tumors are confined to the pancreas at the time of diagnosis; in most cases, the malignancy has already progressed to the point where surgical removal is impossible.In those cases where resection can be performed, the average survival rate is 18 to 20 months. The overall five-year survival rate is about 10%, although this can rise as high as 20% to 25% if the tumor is removed completely and when cancer has not spread to lymph nodes.

here is the "allopathic numbers"...

as to your "attempts" at improving your cholesterol...

did you change your diet.. do you go to a seriously decreased animal protein route..and increase your plant based consumpation???

Just curiouslll

By Randy Mitchell on November 11, 2011 at 01:33 pm

Yes, I followed a diet of lower-fat and increased vegetables as well as taking all the products described above. I did what's always recommended when trying to lose weight and lower cholesterol. A statin was the only thing that worked for me. And yes, pancreatic cancer is one of the worst, if not the worst. But some do survive. In my opinion, Mr. Jobs could've increased his odds if he had taken his Dr's advice sooner.

By DKIdea on November 17, 2011 at 07:25 pm

"According to the American Cancer Society..." and this is where it all falls apart. This agency has already shown countless times that they will remain a part of the problem, not the solution, as they tow the line of a "conventional medicine" only doctrine...no matter how badly it fails. Further...the money machine that ACS has become is NOT interested in shooting itself in the foot for the cause they claim to support. They have stood against all new treatments and cures that do not fall in line with the status quo...FACT.

I really can't comment on your efforts Randy...but I suspect they were incomplete just from what you say. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, I'm sure you did all you say you did...what I mean is that health is an incomplete science that is always growing, when allowed to. I myself have high blood pressure...and refuse to take the poisonenous and permanent drugs they would prescribe. Instead I manage it through total lifestyle change.

There are many components that go into having HBP as there are for having high cholesterol. If only a portion of a total health plan is done, the efforts (deemed incomplete) will likely fail. Example...I could take all the natural supplements and eat all the right foods for lowering blood pressure, but without the critical component of regular peak excercise....I will see little results. The same if I excercised, but didn't change my diet.

The approach must be complete. For anyone that has HBP, I'll share my success for free.

1.) With the exception of a breakfast based on my specific metabolism...and a salad for lunch when I'm at work...I only eat foods that lower blood pressure (googled from the internet). I don't eat the complete list...just the stuff I like.

2.) I take a supplement for total cardio care with the key ingredient of Nattokinase.

3.) I drink one cup of a special spring water blend of four juiced lemons, one peeled and cut ginger root, 1/2 teaspoon of green stevia and 1/2 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt (mixed in one gallon spring water...this is taken first thing in the morning, once a day).

4.) One teaspoon of Carson's Fish Oil (lemon flavor) twice a day with meals.

5.) One teaspoon of Psyllium in a cup of water or juice once, sometimes twice, a day.

6.) Juice celery stalks and drink the juice, then take the pulp and boil in water...and drink the water. The pulp is good for two or three boilings. I boil with enough water to fill 52 oz thermus I use.

7.) Peak excercise every other day.

8.) In bed no later than 10 pm...with a meal no later than 8pm every night.

9.) No more than 23 grams of sugar intake a day...or VERY close therof. I love candy...chocolate in particular, but once more than 23 grams of sugar is introduced in the body, blood pressure will begin to rise...so I don't eat any starch at all...since it becomes sugar in the body.

10.) If I don't exceed my sugar goal, I treat myself with a small piece of dark chocolate (70% cocoa) for a treat...it's on the list...:-)

11.) One asprin daily (81 mg)

I have lost weight (which is great for blood pressure) and brought my pressure into normal levels from levels that the human body cannot sustain. It isn't a hassle to remember all that^...since I've made a complete lifestyle change which has given me energy, burned fat, lowered blood pressure and made me healthier in a natural and safe way.

I could do any ONE of those steps and not see results...or a few and not see results...but I have found a complete blend that works...FOR ME...and since everyone is different, my encouragement for anyone going this route is to find the right blend for you...

...or just pop some pills perscribed by your doctor and keep it moving. I prefer a total health approach...but to each his/her own.

By DKIdea on November 17, 2011 at 07:33 pm

Whoops....l almost forgot one of the most important steps. Since blood pressure cannot be felt, it's the silent killer, it MUST be monitored regularly if you've been diagnosed with HBP.

I take a reading in the morning before I leave, when I come home from work...and before I go to bed...and keep a chart to monitor progress.

By lzrd on September 28, 2014 at 07:32 pm

I know of 3 people who have really done well with alternative therapies. But one of them got tired of the work involved and quit, at which time it jumped him with a vengence it seemed.