Monday, August 21, 2017

Five Highs with Gary Radnich

by Ed Attanasio (writer), San Frickin' Frisco, Baby!, July 12, 2011

Credit: KNBR
Gary Radnich is a broadscasting veteran of the Bay Area sports scene

For 26 years, sportscaster Gary Radnich has been on the air and on the job in the City by the Bay.

I've recently been doing these Top 5 lists, because everyone does Top 10 Lists and hey--I'm tired. So, I asked sports broadcaster Gary Radnich to give me the top 5 things that have most affected his career and personal life. Gary Radnich has survived and thrived for more than 26 years in the Bay Area sports broadcasting scene, as the sports director at KRON-TV, a radio host on KNBR “The Sports Leader” and as a sports commentator for Comcast SportsNet. He’s an icon, a legend and still standing after many years, because while the technology and everyone around him has changed, Radnich has always stayed exactly the same.

Fab Five #1: His father

While other parents shushed their kids and discouraged them from drawing attention to themselves, Evelyn and Bill Radnich proudly watched their son as he grew up and discovered his own patented showboating style while playing basketball in the late ‘60’s at Del Mar and Branham High Schools in Gary’s hometown of San Jose, Calif., and then later at BYU and UNLV.

With an encouraging team supporting him every step of the way, Radnich wasn’t afraid to try and fail at almost anything—a quality that later helped him in his career’s infancy, he said. “My parents were everything to me. I took a lot of chances on the air, especially during those early years, because I knew I had a mother and father 100% behind me no matter what I did. If things ever fall apart, I can always go back to San Jose and move right back into my old room, I figured. I was real lucky.”

Gary’s relationship with his late father is the prime reason why he’s succeeded in an industry where people are lucky if they can work in the same spot for more than a couple years, let along 26, Radnich explained.

“When my father passed (in 2003) it was tough and I’m still not over it. He never missed one of my shows and he always gave me some great advice, like ‘Jeez, don’t force it or try to be too funny’; ‘Wake up, you look like you’re sleeping’; or ‘If they’re paying you, go out there and do your best.” He was a three-time Golden Gloves boxing champ, a center on the basketball team at San Jose State in the late ‘30’s and everyone loved him. I miss him, that’s for sure.”

Fabe Five #2: His family

At this stage in their lives, most guys don’t have three kids in grade school (Jolie 10.5 years old; Isabella, 6.5 and Spencer, 3.5), but when Radnich met his second wife Alicia 12 years ago, he was ready to start a family all over again. (Gary has three grown children, Kelly, Douglas and Stephanie from his first marriage). Fabulous things can happen in life when you least expect them and Alicia fits nicely into one of those categories, Radnich admitted with a grin.

“We met at work (she was a show producer) and our first date was a causal dinner. I was glad when I found out that Alicia wanted a family, because she could have said hey, here’s some lonesome old guy with some bucks, take me out and I’ll help you spend your money. So, when she told me she wanted a regular family and she wasn’t just using me for a job, I knew she was legit. She’s a housewife, because I don’t want someone else raising my children.”

Even in liberal San Francisco, Gary still gets strange looks when he walks around in public with his wife and children, he said. “When I walk down the street with Alicia and the kids, we still get stares to this day, because she’s Afro-American and my kids are what I call a nice blend. Sometimes when I notice it happening, I’ll walk over to the person and say, ‘What’s upsetting you? I’m just curious. Is she too young or too black?’ It surprises them and they usually mutter something like, ‘Oh no, she’s a lovely woman, I just….’ I do it every three months or so, I guess, and I love the reactions every time.”

Fabe #3: (Professional) Friendships

Radnich never gets too close to athletes or coaches, he said, and that’s also why he’s able to ask the tougher questions without hesitation. “I’ve never idolized a player and I won’t hang out with them, because if I want to rip a guy later, I don’t want to have to think about it. And I won’t take a free meal from any team or any player, because it’s harder to talk about someone objectively when you’ve got a mouth full of their food.”

Gary doesn’t get warm or fuzzy with any interviewee, but there have been a few exceptions over the years, he said. One of those was with the late Bill Walsh. Over the years, the coach and the sportscaster became as close as their professional friendship would allow, Radnich said.

“Bill gave me a lot of praise, but he also put a bug in my ear all the time. ‘You’re doing pretty good right now’, he’d tell me. ‘But remember that talking about sports is what got you here. In any story you tell, it has to have a thread of sports in there. It was really good advice. Walsh criticized me in a nice way a few times and I always appreciated that. He had a big heart and he was a good soul.”

Two other athletes who almost broke the Radnich “don’t get too close” rule are Ronnie Lott and former A’s all-star pitcher Dave Stewart, he explained.

“Both these guys would do anything for you. Lott broke his leg in Green Bay one time and he still flew back here to do my Sunday night show. We couldn’t believe it. The only two guys who wouldn’t take the limousine were Ronnie Lott and Dave Stewart. Those are my two favorite players, and for that reason. One player (whose name Gary didn’t want to mention, but his initials are T.O.) didn’t like it when we sent him a town car instead of a limo one time, but Lott and Stewart could care less, and that’s why I always like them.”

Fab #4: Being fortunate

In broadcasting, there’s always a certain amount of luck involved—some good and bad. A decent ratings book, an interview that makes news or being in the right place at the right time can boost a broadcaster’s career overnight.

Fortuitous timing helped Gary Radnich’s career in a big way, because when he entered the Bay Area market it was at the dawn of what’s now called The Golden Era of Sports in Northern California--a two-year period (1988-’89) in which the 49ers won back-to-back Super Bowls, with the Bay Bridge World Series sandwiched in between. Sports mania ruled throughout the Bay Area during this time and Radnich was the ringmaster emceeing the festivities in our cars and living rooms day after day.

“During that period, everyone in the Bay Area was starving for sports news, because all of our teams were winning. It was before cable became popular and the Internet was still a ways off. I was on TV after every major sporting event, so people got to see me a lot. In the late ‘80’s all of the broadcasters had nice teeth and nice hair. They’d sit in front of the teleprompter and read the scores and I didn’t fit into that mold. Then I came on the air and started doing all this wild stuff and now it’s perceived as the norm, but it was considered outlandish back then.”

Fab #5: Familiarity

When did Radnich become the Bay Area’s very own sports media king? “Going on the radio in ’92 really established me, because it allowed me to be on the air for more than five minutes at a time. It was strange, because almost immediately I could sense a change in how the public perceived me. Now I was on the air for three straight hours every day. That really put me over the top. 1989 was a big year for me, but going on the radio at KNBR really put me on the map. Between my three jobs, I’m on the air more than 40 hours a week, but getting on the radio was the start of it, really.”

But, familiarity doesn’t happen easily or by accident. Radnich is the hardest working guy in the Bay Area sports broadcasting game by far, and as a result he’s well-known among sports and non sports fans alike.

Here’s how Gary’s work day goes. “I get to KNBR at around 9 am in the morning and I’m home by 12:20 for lunch. Then I’m at KRON to do that broadcast at around 5:30 pm, and then I’m back home at 7:30 pm; back again at it at 11:00 and home for good at around 11:20. That’s my day. People say they don’t know how I can work all these jobs. They tell me I’m going to eventually kill myself. And I tell them, no way, because when I’m not working I go home. I don’t just walk around, telling people look at me I’m on TV, so that people will notice me. I only show off when I’m on the air and that’s served me pretty good. I work hard but then I go home. If I’m going to have someone yelling at me, it might as well be Alicia.”

Ed Attanasio is a writer for BrooWaha. For more information, visit the writer's website.

78 comments on Five Highs with Gary Radnich

By Jack Bates on July 12, 2011 at 11:32 am

Ed,

Gary is hands down the best sports commentator since Howard Cosell. This is a fantastic look behind the curtain of a great personality. I grew up in Cleveland, OH. I've lived in Nashville, TN, San Francisco and Alameda CA and I've never heard someone speak on air like Radnich. On TV he can banter with the news cast crew and then go straight to the raidio and go as deep in to any sport as any expert out there.

A true Bay Area gem and your article shines new light on this personality in a refreshing way. Great work.

By robertanchor on July 14, 2011 at 06:30 am

Met him last Year while visiting the studio, saw him and Bip Roberts record live, awesome guy.

By Gustawa88 on July 03, 2014 at 12:59 am

Totally agree with the opinion diamenty

By Cyrenia88 on July 25, 2014 at 02:00 am

That seems to be superb plastova okna

By jakdown on February 04, 2015 at 08:11 am

Your blog is important; the issue is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about.gaver til ham

By jakdown on February 20, 2015 at 09:30 am

I'm going to read this. I'll be sure to come back. thanks for sharing. and also This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. this is very nice one and gives indepth information. thanks for this nice article quotes on divorce

By jakdown on February 23, 2015 at 08:43 am

Your good knowledge and kindness in playing with all the pieces was very useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I had not encountered such a step like this find a babysitter

By jakdown on March 02, 2015 at 02:09 pm

The web site is lovingly serviced and saved as much as date. So it should be, thanks for sharing this with us. Licensee Opportunities

By jakdown on March 15, 2015 at 05:32 am

Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. It's late finding this act. At least, it's a thing to be familiar with that there are such events exist. I agree with your Blog and I will be back to inspect it more in the future so please keep up your act. depression men

By jakdown on March 16, 2015 at 03:15 am

Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post Flashcards for kids

By jakdown on March 22, 2015 at 09:54 am

Bracialeto Europe Beads med guld og diamanter Glassten Armbånd Halskæder Billige smykker smykker Lav selv smykker Tilbud på smykker Månedens sten Armbånd. Beads med guld og diamanter

By jakdown on April 08, 2015 at 06:10 am

I’m happy I located this blog! From time to time, students want to cognitive the keys of productive literary essays composing. Your first-class knowledge about this good post can become a proper basis for such people. best home treadmill

By jakdown on May 04, 2015 at 01:21 am
Lesson 3: How To Build A Strong Revenue Share. DEFINITION of 'Compound Interest' Interest calculated on the initial principal and also on the accumulated interest of previous periods of a deposit or loan. Compound interest can be thought of as “interest on interest,” and will make a deposit or loan grow at a faster rate than simple interest, which is interest calculated only on the principal amount. The rate at which compound interest accrues depends on the frequency of compounding; the higher the number of compounding periods, the greater the compound interest. Thus, the amount of compound interest accrued on $100 compounded at 10% annually will be lower than that on $100 compounded at 5% semi-annually over the same time period. Compound interest is also known as compounding. Now this works exactly like it sounds it does. To use Compound Interest in relation to revenue sharing is simple 100 % REPURCHASE for as long as possible, Yes its that easy the system is set up for you just buy as often as you can with as much as you have and you will make money. Now i would like to discuss way's to help you build your referral chains to help you with your commissions. We will discuss Key forms of advertising and how to effectively use them to increase your wealth. #1. Facebook Group Posting.Revenue Sharing This is one of the best free methods to get active referrals. There is no science to this its simple join 25 advertising groups on Facebook every day, Create a text add with a picture ( You can all this from the files section of group ), Add your referral link to the end of the add, then copy and paste till your hands hurt. Answer anyone who likes or comments on your links. ( alternatively you can use an auto poster which will make your life easier but costs money ) #2. Other Revenue Share Sites. The second best area to get active referrals is other revenue sharing sites where people are already familiar with the plat form. This is also easy you can use your banner credits to put up adds as well as using some of your profits to buy ad space. #3. PTC PPC PTSU ( Pay to click, Pay per click, Pay to sign up ) These are not a bad alternative and usually lead to quick sign ups, however only about 30 % of them ever end up being active. These sites are often expensive and not as effective as some of the other methods but still not a horrible idea. Pay to sign up is often a waist of time entirely as the people just want the money there getting to sign up. #4. Other Social Media Platforms . If you have any of these social media platforms you could be using them to get referrals, Pinterest , Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram ANYTHING like this can be used to advertise your referral link. #5. Create your own Landing page, Advertise your sites all at once. Why advertise one link when you can advertise all your programs at once tongue emotico all the pros are doing this.

By stevebuckner4 on May 06, 2015 at 08:50 am

Great range of LED lighting from GU10 lamps to flood lights and bulbs. Reduce your electric bill by using LED today from Ecolume.LED flood lights

By stevebuckner4 on May 11, 2015 at 01:36 am

Real estate, furnished rental apartments.http://suitemedellin.com/

By stevebuckner4 on May 11, 2015 at 01:37 am

Real estate, furnished rental apartments.

rentals

By stevebuckner4 on May 11, 2015 at 01:37 am

Real estate, furnished rental apartments.

rentals

By stevebuckner4 on May 25, 2015 at 03:07 am

homes for sale in Newmarket, Ontario

A website providing valuable information for buying or selling your home and also promoting Allan Morton as the perfect realtor.

By stevebuckner4 on May 25, 2015 at 07:05 am

houses for sale in Aurora, Ontario

By stevebuckner4 on May 26, 2015 at 12:19 am

online boutique

Mombasa Rose is the online fashion boutique with the latest in fun and fresh fashion. No matter what your style we’ve got you sorted with the latest trends, quirky accessories, and great gifts.

By stevebuckner4 on May 26, 2015 at 06:44 am

An exotic car and luxury car rental company. We also provide sport cars, suvs and convertibles as well. our entire car fleet is new and updated. We deliver and pick up as well.

Exotic Car Rental Miami

By stevebuckner4 on May 27, 2015 at 01:53 am

Customer retention strategy

Entice Engage Retain helping to entice customers, increase engagement and deliver retention strategies to drive your business forward.

By stevebuckner4 on May 30, 2015 at 06:04 am

Obtain a diplomatic passport and enjoy all of the above. Watch doors open, taxes reduced and travel made easier. A diplomatic passport and title unlocks a world of privileges and opportunities. Diplomatic passports are not sold. They are available for select individuals. We offer diplomatic consulting, guidance, care and legal advice to obtain these documents. honorary consul appointment

By stevebuckner4 on May 30, 2015 at 06:04 am

By stevebuckner4 on June 05, 2015 at 07:10 am

led screen

Adventrix, signage company in dubai provides digital signage, signage solutions, vehicle graphics, kiosk solutions, led lightbox, wayfinding, and a variety of other signage solutions

By stevebuckner4 on June 09, 2015 at 02:10 am

software companies in dubaiSince we are a design-focused company, we offer something that no other media agency can - affordable prices! No compromises in quality though, its just that our business is structured in a way where SMBs can benefit from us, and large organizations can give us a try as well.

By stevebuckner4 on June 09, 2015 at 02:11 am

software companies in dubai

<a href="http://pearlquest.ae/">http://pearlquest.ae/</a>

By stevebuckner4 on June 09, 2015 at 02:14 am
  • software companies in dubai
  • Since we are a design-focused company, we offer something that no other media agency can - affordable prices! No compromises in quality though, its just that our business is structured in a way where SMBs can benefit from us, and large organizations can give us a try as well.

By stevebuckner4 on June 10, 2015 at 02:34 am

virtual reality

atteliababy are regular parents. We are like many other parents, only hope our kids growing up happily and healthy. Yet, while we look around, we see the environment getting polluted more in each second; we see our planet is heavily loaded with all kinds of trash. We do worry that what the world is going to be when our kids grow up? What ask ourselves: what can we do to keep the world beautiful and clean, so that we can give our children, our grandchildren a good environment to grow up?

By stevebuckner4 on June 12, 2015 at 04:43 am

How to clean night guardHow do I clean my night guard? Tear open the convenient little package, drop the two tabs into a glass of water, and go!

By stevebuckner4 on June 12, 2015 at 08:59 am

ejuiceZapeBox is a monthly ejuice subscription box that delivers vaping eliquid to your doorstep! A gourmet selection of PREMIUM e-juice delivered to your door every month!http://www.zapebox.com

By stevebuckner4 on June 13, 2015 at 04:51 am

Direct Benefit improving the lives of Nepali and Bangladeshi immigrants I came across this individual while conducting some research on the most effective way to make an immediate difference for the better. What he is doing is absolutely wonderful and I wanted to share. This Malaysian businessman is single handedly improving the lives of the less fortunate through job opportunities and university. He is funding the complete bill! Please take a minute to view his story and share this post. I would love to see him reach his goals. It's wonderful seeing the love that's still around us today.http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/help-me-employ-nepali-and-bangladeshi-migrants

Help nepali and bangladeshi immigrants

By stevebuckner4 on June 15, 2015 at 04:51 am

online marketing malaysiahttps://smartbusiness.today/We only work with small businesses and our mission is to put more money in your pocket.We only use ethical, proven methods, cost effective techniques and things that really work.

By stevebuckner4 on June 17, 2015 at 06:34 am

disposal bin vancouverhttp://www.rolloffvancouver.comDisposal bin Surrey, Vancouver dumpster Rental, Disposal bin Surrey, Garbage Bins Burnaby, also serving Cloverdale, Coquitlam, Richmond 604-433-JUNK.

By stevebuckner4 on June 30, 2015 at 05:02 am

maternity gift ideas

By stevebuckner4 on July 01, 2015 at 03:42 am

How to clean night guard

CleanGuard was formulated with your night guard - not dentures - in mind.

By stevebuckner4 on July 03, 2015 at 06:57 am

design studio

Pq design studio is product design company based on Rome and Shanghai with special industrial design studio. We are specialized in various industrial product.

By rosaria on July 06, 2015 at 01:11 am

This person must have a great experience in this area. I guess he is an expert in sports issues. Like specialists of essay writing service are experts in college papers area.

By stevebuckner4 on July 10, 2015 at 09:49 am

mid calf dresshttp://kennaswims.comkennaswims dresses are going to appeal for younger working moms that like fashion and style but want functionality as well. Our dresses are comfortable, stylish and most of all appropriate for both work and play with kids as they are all knee length or longer. They can also appeal to women that like modesty.

By stevebuckner4 on July 10, 2015 at 09:50 am

mid calf dress<p>http://kennaswims.com</p>kennaswims dresses are going to appeal for younger working moms that like fashion and style but want functionality as well. Our dresses are comfortable, stylish and most of all appropriate for both work and play with kids as they are all knee length or longer. They can also appeal to women that like modesty.

By stevebuckner4 on July 10, 2015 at 09:50 am

By stevebuckner4 on July 13, 2015 at 01:49 am

music store dubai

For Guitar Piano Strings and Music instruments in Dubai The Music Chamber is a one stop shop, get complete music accessories and musical instrument training school for all. Avail Music classes, Guitar teacher violin lessons in Dubai.music store dubaihttp://musicchamber.net/For Guitar Piano Strings and Music instruments in Dubai The Music Chamber is a one stop shop, get complete music accessories and musical instrument training school for all. Avail Music classes, Guitar teacher violin lessons in Dubai.

By stevebuckner4 on July 13, 2015 at 01:49 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on July 13, 2015 at 01:49 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on July 13, 2015 at 01:49 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on July 13, 2015 at 01:49 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on July 13, 2015 at 01:49 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on July 14, 2015 at 07:34 am

christmas cards for fundraising

The Christmas Card Fundraising Project - Professionally Printed Greetings Cards for Schools.

By stevebuckner4 on July 14, 2015 at 07:35 am

christmas cards for fundraising

By qwerty123321 on July 15, 2015 at 08:23 am

Hi, everyone! You are probably haven't chekced yet this awesome site. Look, here you can buy the best australian essays for your study and even choose a writer among many professional writers. Check it.

By stevebuckner4 on July 16, 2015 at 02:38 am

product design company

Pq design is italian design studio specialized in both product design and branding.

By stevebuckner4 on July 18, 2015 at 05:00 am

Job opportunity Canadawww.jobficient.com help you reach out to thousands of verified recruitment professionals in your area. Give it a try and you will be amazed at how much time you can save on your job search process.

By stevebuckner4 on July 21, 2015 at 07:03 am

Driver Simulator

SimuRide Professional Driving Simulator Software Products helps beginners and commercial drivers - Driving Simulation Software AplusB

By stevebuckner4 on August 03, 2015 at 04:12 am

maternity gift ideasatteliababy provide you unique and good quality products. We hope that you will like these products as we do.

By stevebuckner4 on August 03, 2015 at 06:34 am

furnished apartmentsReal estate, furnished rental apartments.

By stevebuckner4 on August 03, 2015 at 07:51 am

cat sitter in NYCGotham City Cat Care offers professional cat sitting services in New York.

By stevebuckner4 on August 05, 2015 at 06:59 am

By stevebuckner4 on August 12, 2015 at 05:18 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on August 12, 2015 at 05:18 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on August 12, 2015 at 05:18 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on August 12, 2015 at 05:18 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on August 12, 2015 at 05:18 am

music store dubai

By stevebuckner4 on August 20, 2015 at 04:41 am

christmas cards for schools

By stevebuckner4 on August 22, 2015 at 07:09 am

Work-place harassmentContemporaneous Notes are essential whenever you believe that you may have to attend court to present the information within your notes. This includes situations such as work-place harassement, dealing with a problem employee, fighting eviction notices, evicting bad tenants and taking notes at work as a police officer, nurse, doctor or other professional.

By stevebuckner4 on August 22, 2015 at 07:09 am

By stevebuckner4 on August 24, 2015 at 05:04 am

DAL PropsWe sell indestructible propellers for a QAV250 ZMR250 and other mini quadcopters which are becoming VERY Popular.

By stevebuckner4 on August 31, 2015 at 04:11 am

Carpet Cleaning Doylestown

(10% OFF) Having a clean living room is not really a hassle anymore. With the help of a few helping hands that come with a fee you can ensure the cleaning of every little speck from your most prized possessions.

By stevebuckner4 on August 31, 2015 at 04:11 am

Carpet Cleaning Doylestown

By stevebuckner4 on August 31, 2015 at 04:13 am

Carpet Cleaning Doylestown

By stevebuckner4 on September 01, 2015 at 03:47 am

Wordpress Development

Knack is well known Web development firm in New York. We are the company for web design service in New York. Get the best website developed with us.

By stevebuckner4 on September 01, 2015 at 07:16 am

mattress

Mattress: Mattress Pocket Spring Premium Belgium Knit Fabric Euro Top Natural Latex Gel Memory Foam

By stevebuckner4 on September 02, 2015 at 06:31 am

Fitting CRM to your needs

I Want That CRM: maximising the benefit customers gain from using their CRM well.

By stevebuckner4 on September 04, 2015 at 03:11 am

furnished apartments

Real estate, furnished rental apartments.

By stevebuckner4 on September 05, 2015 at 05:12 am

Aphorism photos editing

BestCit is the best way to find, read, create, edit and share your favorite aphorisms! Create and share a lot of amazing quote pictures with our gallery and with yours! Get your inspiration with push notifications of best daily’s quotes! You can share our quote pictures or your own creations, or save like a picture and create stunning wallpapers!

By stevebuckner4 on September 07, 2015 at 06:53 am

Ship to Nigeria from USA

shipping company shipping to Nigeria and other African destinations.

By stevebuckner4 on September 07, 2015 at 06:56 am

Ship to Nigeria from USA

shipping company shipping to Nigeria and other African destinations.

By stevebuckner4 on September 08, 2015 at 01:09 am

extensions pour cheveux

Rallonges pour Cheveux qualité vrai cheveux. Découvrez des rallonges cheveux avec clips, cousues, micro-billes, bandes adhésives et plus sur Mes Rallonges.

By stevebuckner4 on September 21, 2015 at 02:04 am
    http://softsaints.com/ catholic dolls, saint dolls, Prayer Pillowcases, jesus pillowcases, christian pillowcases, Bible Stories for Tiny Tots, Guardian Angel Prayer Pillowcase, Blessed Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus Doll, Baby Jesus in the Manger Doll, Guardian Angel Doll, Trinity Prayer Prayer Pillowcase, catholic store, catholic supply store, catholic religious stores, catholic shop online, catholic stores, christian apparel, christian shop Blessed Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus Doll.